Welcome to St John the Evangelist, Piddinghoe.
The church building is roughly central to the village. It is a Grade 1 listed building dating from the early 12th century. It is one of only three round-towered churches in Sussex and was restored by the Victorians in 1882. It consists of a chancel, nave, north and south aisles, bell tower and vestry. The organ dates from 1882 and the three bells were recast in 1713. They were examined some four years ago and found to be essentially sound. The stained glass is mainly Victorian and the font is 13th century. The village population is around two hundred souls and there are some church attenders from further afield. There is a fairly typical mix in the population with an increase of younger members over the last few years.
Sunday services are twice a month 8.00am (said BCP) on second Sunday and 9.30am (CW Traditional Language, Holy Communion) on fourth Sunday. Monthly Holy Communion with hymns from the English Hymnal – Common Worship Rite A, in traditional language. Other services as needs or custom demands.
Holy Baptism, Matrimony and Funeral Services.
These are held for members of the community and consideration is given to marriage requests under the new (2008) guidelines. The churchyard is generally closed to new burials due to the lack of credible mapping of existing graves, but ashes of village residents can be interred in a limited area. The churchyard is currently maintained by the friends of St. John’s Church